Wednesday, September 2, 2015

UnicodeError when printing a table to pdf

Reported #484 and tried to reproduce on my machine.

When I try to print certain tables to pdf in a production site of Lino Noi, e.g. “Sessions von #477” (SessionsByTicket), then I get:

Error while evaluating the expression "table(ar)" defined in the
"from" part of a statement. UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't
decode byte 0xc3 in position 12: ordinal not in range(128)

It is obviously related to the data being printed since the same table works for most cases.

The production server is running Django 1.6.10, Python 2.7.3, appy 0.9.1 and 0.9.2

I loaded a snapshot from the production site to my development machine (only difference I can see is Python 2.7.4 instead of 2.7.3). The same table prints out on my machine.

I upgraded the Debian Wheezy on the production server, but this did not upgrade the Python version:

The following packages will be upgraded:
  apache2 apache2-doc apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apache2.2-bin
  apache2.2-common bind9 bind9-host bind9utils cups-bsd cups-client
  cups-common curl dpkg dpkg-dev dselect expat fonts-opensymbol ghostscript
  ldap-utils libapache2-mod-php5 libbind9-80 libcups2 libcupsimage2
  libcurl3 libcurl3-gnutls libdns88 libdpkg-perl libexpat1 libexpat1-dev
  libgd2-xpm libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common libgs9
  libgs9-common libicu48 libisc84 libisccc80 libisccfg82 libjs-jquery-ui
  libldap-2.4-2 liblwres80 libmysqlclient-dev libmysqlclient18 libnss3
  libnss3-1d libphp-snoopy libreoffice libreoffice-base
  libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-calc libreoffice-common
  libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw libreoffice-filter-binfilter
  libreoffice-filter-mobiledev libreoffice-impress libreoffice-java-common
  libreoffice-math libreoffice-officebean libreoffice-report-builder-bin
  libreoffice-style-galaxy libreoffice-writer libruby1.9.1 libsqlite3-0
  libssl-dev libssl1.0.0 libsvn1 libtasn1-3 libtidy-0.99-0 libtidy-dev
  libwmf0.2-7 libx11-6 libx11-data libx11-xcb1 libxml2 libxrender1
  linux-libc-dev mailman mercurial mercurial-common mysql-client-5.5
  mysql-common mysql-server mysql-server-5.5 mysql-server-core-5.5
  openjdk-6-jre openjdk-6-jre-headless openjdk-6-jre-lib openssl php5
  php5-cli php5-common php5-curl php5-gd php5-intl php5-mysql python3-uno
  ruby1.9.1 subversion uno-libs3 ure wordpress wordpress-l10n
The following packages are RECOMMENDED but will NOT be installed:
  icedtea-6-jre-cacao icedtea-6-jre-jamvm icedtea-netx
  libfile-fcntllock-perl libreoffice-emailmerge libsasl2-modules libssl-doc
104 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.

It seems neither easy to upgrade the production server to 2.7.4, nor to install a Python 2.7.3 on my machine. So I leave that ticket open for the moment with the suggestion that it is due to some bug in Python 2.7.3 which has been fixed for 2.7.4 (these are listed here).

Cannot delete partner with more than one MTI children

We discovered a minor side effect of the changes that I made on Monday, August 31, 2015 when fixing the murder bug (#477, Accidental cascaded delete when deleting MTI child):

When there was a Partner who was also both a Person and a Company (i.e. Person and Company are MTI siblings), then it was not possible to any object of the triangle.

I solved this by writing a special version of disable_delete for Polymorphic.

This means also that application programmers should

Preventing accidental deletes The Lino Welfare "Eupen" variant

Dynamic html actions ignore auto_save

Mathieu reported #491 (Dynamic html actions ignore auto_save):

Arianne a écrit quelques lignes dans le corps du texte d’une observation. Avant d’enregistrer, elle a voulu joindre un document (Fichiers téléchargés). Tout ce qu’elle a écrit a disparu.

This is a general bug: #492 (Dynamic html actions ignore auto_save). It is the same problem for all action buttons in dynamic html.

It’s not easy to solve, and will potentially bring bugs into the Javascript code.

The InserRow action theoretically knows that it should save the requesting panel before executing (because it has auto_save=True). When called from a toolbar button or the context menu, then the JS code builds the action handlers, wrapping do_when_clean around them. This is done on the dict returned by ext_renderer.a2btn. But in the case of ar2button it just renders an <a href> tag with a javascript: href. And that code knows the requesting panel only by its extjs name. We might add a third parameter to the WindowAction.run method:

javascript:Lino.uploads.UploadsByClient.insert.run(“ext-comp-1276”,{…})

javascript:Lino.uploads.UploadsByClient.insert.run(“ext-comp-1276”,{…}, true)

But the cleaner way is to move that do_when_clean wrapping somewhere else. Into the generated actions.

This is for later….

Maybe a cold comfort, users can now press Ctrl+S in the text editor to have it saved: #493 (Ctrl+S to save in text editor).

I didn’t get it to work with Ctrl-ENTER. Ctrl-S is defined using addShortcut which works only for alphanumeric keys. I tried using onKeyDown inspired by Steffen Bollmann which works except that I cannot stop the default handler to also fire. Tried also this method without success. And so Ctrl-ENTER is not usable since the default handler inserts a space and a newline before saving.

In general you can now also press Ctrl-S anywhere in a FormPanel to save the record. Same as ENTER until now (and that shortcut remains, too).

TODO: the keyboard focus unfortunately gets lost when saving.