Friday, November 13, 2015

Importing 101 xml files

Working on #505. Gerd got a new series of xml files. I tried to import them. I changed lino_cosi.lib.sepa.models.ImportStatements.run_from_ui() so that it imports both .xml and .XML files. Basically this was just to change the wildcard from '*.xml' to '*.[Xx][Mm][Ll]'. But I also did some opimizations of coding style and reporting. these changes are spread over several commits because I discovered them on the field (running the import repeatedly on their testlino server using real XML files).

Coding style by example

Before:

def run_from_ui(self, ar):
    pth = dd.plugins.sepa.import_statements_path
    wc = os.path.join(pth, '*.xml')
    dd.logger.info("Importing SEPA statements from %s...", wc)
    count = 0
    if pth:
        for filename in glob.iglob(wc):
            self.import_file(ar, filename)
            count += 1
        msg = "{0} xml files have been imported.".format(count)
        dd.logger.info(msg)
        return ar.success(msg, alert=_("Success"))
    msg = "No import_statements_path configured."
    return ar.error(msg, alert=_("Error"))

After:

def run_from_ui(self, ar):
    pth = dd.plugins.sepa.import_statements_path
    if not pth:
        msg = "No import_statements_path configured."
        return ar.error(msg, alert=_("Error"))
    dd.logger.info("Importing XML files from %s...", pth)
    wc = os.path.join(pth, '*.[Xx][Mm][Ll]')
    count = 0
    for filename in glob.iglob(wc):
        self.import_file(ar, filename)
        count += 1
    msg = "{0} XML files have been imported.".format(count)
    dd.logger.info(msg)
    return ar.success(msg, alert=_("Success"))
  • avoid indentation (prefer an early return)
  • I prefer variable names like “stmt” and “mvmt” over _statement or _movement: (1) why a leading underscore? (2) Often-used variables should be as short as possible (though not too short so that you can use search and replace on them)
  • There was a big try-except statement: keep these statements as narrow as possible to avoid handling exceptions from unexpected places.
  • I optimized the reporting, considering that usually there are many files being imported at once.

About payment terms

Should the payment_term field really be on every partner of Lino Welfare? They will use it only when entering incoming purchase invoices. Yes, even a pcsw.Client is a potential provider, that’s theoretically possible, but seems overkill. One more “mostly useless” field.

One solution might be to use polymorphism instead of injecting the field. That is, in lino_cos.lib.ledger.models:

class PayableProvider(contacts.Partner):
    payment_term = ...

New ticket #613. This is part of the welfare.ledger project.

Nouveaux tickets encodés par Mathieur et Aurélie

Je viens de découvrir que Mathieu et Aurélie ont encodé des tickets.

  • TODO: new module “notifier” or “notify” with a model “Message”. It replaces and extends the current system of “welcome messages”. Main purpose is to group several notifications into one mail in order to avoid a inbox overflow.
  • Confirmed #608 Publipostage (assigned to Pierre)
  • Confirmed #607 Présentation des fichiers téléchargés
  • #606 was a group of several tickets. @Mathieu: please avoid this; it is better to write each item as a separate ticket. I splitted into new tickets:
  • renamed 606 to “Plusieurs types de convention Art 61” (i.e. the first item)
  • #614 : Onglet Intervenant : supprimer le champ “Intermédiaire” (avec liste déroulante)
  • #615 : Layout onglet RAE
  • #616 : Panneau “Fichiers téléchargés”
  • #617 : Ateliers automatiquement triés par date
  • Page d’accueil : Dans la partie « Mes rendez-vous », peut on ne voir que les Rendez-vous du jour ? Duplicate of #547? This should be done.
  • #618 : modifier “Durée du contrat” en “Type de contrat”

Search in description of tickets

While triaging tickets, I finally decided to fix an old problem: #619.

First of all, I optimized the internal handling of quick_search_fields: Lino now resolves this a kernel startup and raises an Exception if the list contains an invalid field name.

And then, lino_noi.lib.tickets.models.Ticket now uses this attribute to specify that quick search should look only at the fields summary and description.

Using Lino Noi for the “Care” project

I added a new demo project lino_noi.projects.care, a first draft about the “approach (1)” described in Lino Care, a network of people who care. This is #621. It is currently sleeping because I start to believe that approach 2 (implement it using a new application from scratch) will be easier and better.

But lino_noi.projects.care is nevertheless interesting because it “opens” Lino Noi to other contexts. Lino Noi is definitively not meant only for software development teams.

I reorganized the “software-specific” demo fixtures which should not get loaded by lino_noi.projects.care.

Optimization to the Framework: I added a new rule to lino.core.site.Site.init_before_local(): team now has an “application-specific” “local” fixtures directory, and care inherits from team, but we not want to inherit these fixtures from team to care.