Saturday, August 26, 2017

Contact details

During the last years I occasionally heard customers (or myself) think that one day we should add a feature which replaces the fields phone, email, fax, url of a partner by a panel of “Contact details” where users can enter as many phone numbers and urls and email addresses as they want. This is easily feasable by a plugin which works a bit like lino_xl.lib.addresses. Hamza will probably need this as well when he starts synchronizing contacts with Google. So it was time to do it.

I created #2023, after double-checking that we obviously didn’t yet have a ticket for this. The idea is old, but I never wrote a ticket because I had a big problem: how to call that functionality?

Roman Nofenko formulated the same problem last year on stackexchange:

On a web site I have contact details section. This section can contain phone number, email address, personal site, etc. And I have button to add new item for contact details. What is more correct form for ‘Add …’?

My summary of the answers he received:

  • Contact details is the closest you can get without becoming really obscure. It is defined in Collins Dictionary as “the information required to contact someone, such as an address or telephone number”.
  • Contact information or contact info is mentioned as being more frequently used, but I don’t agree that it is a better word for our problem just because the combination occurs more often.

So I guess we are going to call that functionality “Contact details”. Yes, the word “detail” as the second part of an expression is suboptimal in Lino because it clashes with our naming conventions: we are going to have a class named ContactDetail which is a model and not a detail layout.

But which internal name to use?

  • What about lino_xl.lib.contact_details? too long!
  • What about lino_xl.lib.cdetails? Mnjah…
  • What about lino_xl.lib.phones?

I liked lino_xl.lib.phones best. Yes, that name is irritating because the plugin handles more than phone numbers. But it has a few advantages: one simple word, easy to memorize, letters “ph” not yet used in lino_xl.lib

The first guinea pig for this new feature is Lino Amici. Note that Lino Amici differs from Lino Noi, Lino Così or Lino Care in that it is not included in the Lino Book.

The lino_amici.projects.herman project didn’t make much sence because it had a legacy_data_path and therefore was not runnable on other machines than mine. Fixed.

testpaths and python_files

I fixed a build failure for cosi on travis. The pytest.ini file in Lino Così contained this:

[pytest]
testpaths = tests/__init__.py
python_files = lino_cosi/*

The python_files there was causing pytest to collect also the source files for test cases, which (1) was useless because all test files are grouped under tests and (2) caused an error on travis because it tried to import all these files without having any DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE.

For documentation about testpaths and python_files see the pytest docs

An error occured while trying to fetch your .travis.yml file

I had this funny error message: https://travis-ci.org/lino-framework/xl/builds/268658271

Maybe it was because of some obsolete environments in the .travis.yml of The Lino Extensions Library.

Optimizations for get_simple_params()

I fixed a design flaw: when I define simple parameters on a model, then Lino until now also expected me to define these parameter fields. For example the lino.modlib.users.Authored mixin said:

@classmethod
def get_simple_parameters(cls):
    for p in super(Authored, cls).get_simple_parameters():
        yield p
    yield 'user'  # cls.author_field_name)

@classmethod
def get_parameter_fields(cls, **fields):
    """Adds the :attr:`user` filter parameter field."""
    fld = cls._meta.get_field('user')
    fields.setdefault(
        'user', models.ForeignKey(
            'users.User', verbose_name=fld.verbose_name,
            blank=True, null=True))
    return super(Authored, cls).get_parameter_fields(**fields)

But the get_parameter_fields() method there is a useless requirement. Lino can do this for me since the parameter field is just a copy of the database field of the same name.

New feature: When get_simple_parameters contains names for which no parameter field is defined, then Lino creates that parameter field as a copy of the database field of the same name.

I removed quite a few get_parameter_fields methods which were now useless.

Side effect: the get_simple_parameters no longer returns a set but a list. Because the order of these items is important, e.g. because it is used by get_title_tags().

I converted lino.modlib.notify.Message and lino.modlib.checkdata.Problem : both inherit from lino.modlib.users.UserAuthored and therefore we dont need to define a get_simple_parameters() method in therse cases.

I started to write Introduction to table parameters.

I changed the preferred_width of lino.modlib.system.models.YesNo to 12 which should fix a whole series of suboptimal rendering in parameter panels