Friday, February 9, 2018

Trying to fix a UnicodeDecodeError

We have a reproducible unicode error on CPAS de Châtelet. It happens when generating the automatice calendar entries of a contract. It happens only when the EventType.event_label contains a text with non-ascii chars. I tried to reproduce it:

>>> from lino import startup
>>> startup('lino_welfare.projects.chatelet.settings.demo')
>>> from lino.api.doctest import *
>>> # rt.show('cal.EventTypes')
>>> # rt.show('courses.Courses', column_names='id line__event_type')
>>> et = rt.models.cal.EventType.objects.get(name="Évaluation")
>>> et.event_label
u'\xc9valuation'
>>> qs = rt.models.jobs.Contract.objects.filter(type__exam_policy__event_type=et)
>>> obj = qs.order_by('id').first()
>>> obj
Contract #1 ("Mise \xe0 l'emploi art60\xa77#1 (Bernd BRECHT)")
>>> s = obj.update_cal_summary(et, 1)
>>> print(s)
Évaluation 1
>>> type(s)
<class 'future.types.newstr.newstr'>
>>> s
'\xc9valuation 1'
>>> s = obj.update_cal_summary(None, 1)
>>> print(s)
Évaluation 1
>>> type(s)
<type 'unicode'>
>>> s
u'\xc9valuation 1'

Hm, all this looks perfectly normal! Maybe it is just a local problem in their database configuration?

Confidential data in Avanti

Johanna asked for two optimizations: An auditor of a Lino Avanti site should not even see the first name of participants. Just their number and the place where they live. And they should not see any presences (lino_xl.lib.cal.Guest) at all.

As a side effect I added a new option show_links to lino.core.requests.BaseRequest.show() and added some testing in User types in Lino Avanti. Because until now these tables did not indicate whether the names of participants were clickable or not.

A strange failure

Today I had a failure (#2314) under Python 2 in book:

$ doctest docs/specs/voga/sales.rst

The failure said:

EvaluationError: Error while evaluating the
expression "table(obj.get_print_items(ar))" defined in the "from" part
of a statement. UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode
character u'\u20ac' in position 1447: ordinal not in range(128)

I got rid of it by changing the “if False:” in line 279 of lino_xl.lib.appypod.appy_renderer back to “if True:”. But I have no idea why the failure didn’t come on Travis nor on Hamza’s machine. Maybe try with Hamza on his machine whether he can reproduce it.

Why software must be free

I updated and translated the page at http://www.saffre-rumma.net/free/