Friday, January 3, 2020

No module named ‘lino_book’

Build #32 in Lino Presto failed with ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'lino_book'. I guess that this is caused by some obsolete approach for filling intersphinx in the conf.py file. I compared with the conf.py file in Lino Amici.

But that wasn’t enough (as build #34 shows). Yes, indeed, it seems that we do need a PyPI release of book just for making its docs available to intersphinx!

Challenges when preparing a release in a team

About #3433. This is the first time that two developers (Hamza and I) collaborate for testing and preparing an individual release (more precisely: an upgrade of a production site. The code of the production site is more than one year old. The site is quite stable, so they have almost no change requests of their own. The main reason for this release is to upgrade Python 2 to 3. All this wouldn’t be a problem, but they also asked us to make sure that the upgrade “will not cause any problems”. And it is interesting to analyze the challenges of this new situation.

I have set up a preview site and a migration script, and Hamza has now access to both the production and the preview site. He has been working 5 hours on this yesterday in order to find differences. He has created and updated a Google Drive document “ÖSHZ Eupen 20.2.0 testing report”. I had started release notes in German long time ago in a Sphinx document 19.11.0 (coming). But I had no time to explain to Hamza all the bells and whistles of using a Sphinx document. Hamza decided to use a table, but I am afraid that this is not readable for the customer. We must rather use a format as in 19.11.0 (coming).

I started a documentation page about Documenting changes

Until now my release notes for this site have been in German. If we want Hamza to help me, this document must be either in English or in French. Even their application expert probably doesn’t know (and probably doesn’t want to know) that the German abbreviation “VSE” is called “ISIP” in English and “PIIS” in French. Or that a “coaching” is called “Begleitung” in German and “Intervention” in French. Another challenge is that their production site actually has no English language. Hamza does the comparison in French. Can we assume that Tonis will never do a release for Lino Welfare because he speaks neither French nor German, and because Lino Welfare will never be used in English because it is specific for Belgium? It’s not that sure. Maybe a vocabulary page with a few dozen of entries would be enough to make everybody happy. I vaguely remember that I once even started such a page, but I didn’t find it right now.

Remarks to Gerd:

  • I suggest to replace Dutch by English on your site.

We started a new document 2020.

Release notes for Lino Welfare Eupen are no longer done in German but in English. The customer can ask for a summary or presentation in German.

no module named lino_care.lib.care.workflows

Build #1637.2 in book failed with sphinx.errors.SphinxWarning: [autosummary] failed to import 'lino_care.lib.care.workflows': no module named lino_care.lib.care.workflows

I guess that this is just because the PyPI version of care is obsolete. The Lino Care project fell asleep more than a year ago because the application carrier went out of money. It is still a part of the book. I might move the relevant docs files from the book into the care repository and let the project sleep in peace. But it is less work to just make a pro-forma release of care.

Advancing in Lino Così

I upgraded our Lino Così production site and tested the new preliminary transactions feature. It works, and (finally!) Lino gives the same numbers in our January 2018 VAT declaration as those we declared using TIM.

One non-blocking issue : the new field lino_xl.lib.ledger.Journal.preliminary was not yet included in the detail view.