Monday, October 14, 2019¶
This weekend I have been working on the Developer Guide, trying to answer Amber’s questions. It is getting better but there is still much to do.
Ivo, Tonis and I.
We had a brainstorming session about how Ivo and Amber should contribute. Should we give them write access and let them push directly to master? I updated the How to submit a pull request page. This weekend I read a joke on Reddit about pushing to master which I now mention on this page.
I would like Tonis to test his changes for callback under a multi-process nginx as well. So we had a test session for getlino : use it to simulate a production server on a contributor environment (another use case yet to be documented). Together we experienced the aha effect of getting it running almost out of the box.
This week Tonis will try to take over the following tasks :
Review the Developer and the Contributor Guides so that it becomes useful for newbies like Amber and Ivo. For example people are still falling into a “void space” when they finally managed to install their Lino environment. Not sure whether it makes sense to start with the Django tutorial.
Some more things to change in getlino (a quick list out of my head):
as suggested by Amber: make backup of files before overwriting them
as suggested by Amber: in a developer environment the value for host_name of a new site must be “localhost” and not “first.localhost”.
sqlite database name should be “first.db” not just “first”.
sqlite db file was not writable after installing a simulated production server.
Switch nginx back from single-process to multi, this is in the cookiecutter-startsite project
The nginx config files created by
getlino startsiteare named PRJNAME/nginx/PRJNAME-something. No need to repeat the PRJNAME.
Should we stop having getlino use cookiecutter? Can’t we just use Jinja directly? Cookiecutter seems overkill and introduces useless complexity. E.g. each new parameter needs to be declared in the
cookiecutter.jsonfile although we don’t need Cookiecutter in interactive mode at all.
Before handing above worries over to Tonis I finished my changes to the Developer Guide and pushed them to master after the meeting.
inv bd failed in vilma and tera because their
to require lino and lino_xl doctrees which are not yet configured on the new
server. But actually these doctrees aren’t needed, so I removed the dependency.
Summary of dashboard tables in doctest¶
docs/specs/avanti/general.rst was failing because RecentComments is no longer
empty. But it seems that the
show_dashboard method (used in doctests)
ignores the display_mode because here it shows the tabular view while it should
show the summary. The web interface correctly shows the summary.
It took me some time to debug this. Also had to release a new version of
etgen because in some cases
returns elements like STRONG or HTML or BODY.
doctest seems to have a problem when +NORMALIZE_WHITESPACE is set, and when the only differences are caused by spaces, and when +ELLIPSIS is being used and when the output contains Non-ASCII text.